Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Photographic Inspiration

Everyone has something or someone that inspires them. Something or someone that makes them want to succeed, live out their dreams and be the best person they can be. That person for me is my daughter.

The first time my husband deployed, my daughter Juliet was just 3 months old. It was extremely hard for him to be away from her and to miss those milestones that are SO significant to a first time parent. I promised him I would take more photos of her so he could watch her grow long distance. About a month later, I suffered a late miscarriage that came as a complete shock to all of our loved ones. The traumatic loss of my daughter, Kristianna flipped a switch; from that day on, I swore to myself that I would capture as much of Juliet's life through photography as I could and appreciate every moment I had with her. I can't even say how many nights during that painful time, I just sat there and watched Juliet sleep. I was so thankful to have a baby to hold and to have someone need me. She reminds me every day how lucky I am to even be a mother when so many will never get the chance to.

Capturing toddler moments has since become a passion, an outlet and an obsession of mine. Their flawless beauty and mischievousness is so perfectly innocent. Being able to capture that on camera is incredibly gratifying. Of course, a toddler can be a total pain in the butt and they're almost impossible to pose BUT the very fact that they won't hold still even for chocolate or take direction makes each photo so completely natural. When they are sweet, they are so sweet and when they are bad, the pictures are even better. I never stop shooting because undoubtedly whatever it is that they're getting into next will be the most rewarding shot.

I love children. I love photography. I am so blessed to now be the mother of two gorgeous little girls; Juliet and our newest addition, Violet. I refuse to take any moment for granted and will continue to keep my camera in hand to capture them.

Thank you Juliet for teaching me so much about myself and life ... and thank you for being my inspiration. I absolutely love you.

2 comments:

  1. :) beautiful words and picture! They have so much to teach us about so many things don't they!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so beautiful, and so true. Made me cry. Your girls are beautiful. I take pictures all the time because dale is gone too (but they are nothing like yours!). Become a mother really changes everything you ever imagined in ways you didn't even know existed. Love this

    ReplyDelete